Press Release – Ministry of Health – December 28th, 2010 – The Government of Belize and the Government of Venezuela recently signed an agreement for the provision of Pediatric Cardiology Services for Belizean children. The surgeries will be performed at no cost to the patients and families.
The target group is children 0 to 15 years of age with congenital heart disease.
The Ministry of Health of Belize has designated the Director of Medical Services, Dr. Bernard Bulwer, and Dr. Giovanni Solórzano, both from KHMH, as Focal Points for Belize. They will have the responsibility to follow up on the cases selected and will act as liaison officers between the Embassy of Venezuela and the Ministry of Health of Belize.
The Children’s Cardiology Hospital in Venezuela provides service for the following diseases:
* Inter atrium communication
* Inter ventricular communication
* Tetralogy of Fallot
* Persistent Ductus Arteriosus
* Pulmonary Valve Stenosis
* Aortic Valve Stenosis
Requirements for acceptance of patients:
1. A letter addressed to the President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Hugo Chávez Frías, justifying the clinical and socio-economic status of the patient.
2. A medical report that indicates the clinical condition of the child.
3. A CD with an Echocardiogram recorded.
4. Identification documents of the child and his/her mother, father or legal guardian.
After selecting the patient, s/he must travel to the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela on a commercial flight accompanied but the mother, preferably, who will remain the country for a reasonable time as determined but the attending physicians.
The costs of the round trip plane ticket, lodging, meals, medical treatment and surgery in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela will be paid by the Venezuelan Government.
All potential clients must be referred to the Pediatrician of the Regional Hospitals for assessment. Once these comply with the criteria they will then be referred to Dr. Bulwer or Dr. Solórzano at KHMH. In turn they will liaise directly with the Embassy of Venezuela in Belmopan.
Any concern or doubt, feel free to contact the Venezuelan Embassy or the designated Focal Points.